Some Good Reading
This is by no means a comprehensive bibliography on Anglo-Catholic Socialism - - just some stuff I have read and found interesting. I will keep adding to it as my incurable habit of rummaging around in used book stores bears further fruit. - - Ted M.
- William Addison, The English Country Parson. London, J. M. Dent & Sons, 1948. Includes an appreciation of Conrad Noel.
- Philip N. Backstrom, Christian Socialism and Cooperation in Victorian
England; Edward Vansittart Neale and the Co-Operative Movement. London,
Croom Helm, c1974.
- Mary Beasley, Mission on the Margins. Cambridge, Lutterworth Pr., 1997.
- Gilbert Clive Binyon, The Christian Socialist Movement in England; an
introduction to the study of its history. London, SPCK, 1931.
- W.D.P. Bliss, A Handbook of Socialism. London, Swan Sonnenschein,
- Andrew Bradstock and Christopher Rowland, eds., Radical Christian Writings; a reader. Oxford, Blackwell Publications, 2002.
- Terry Brown, Metacosmesis: the Christian Marxism of Frederic Hastings Smyth and the Society of the Catholic Commonwealth (Doctoral thesis at Toronto School of Theology, 1987.)
- William Montgomery Brown, Communism and Christianism. Galion, Ohio, Bradford Brown Publ. Co., 1920.
- William Montgomery Brown, My Heresy. New York, John Day, 1926.
- William Montgomery Brown, Why I am a Communist. Galion, Ohio, Bradford Brown Publ. Co., 1932.
- Chris Bryant, Possible Dreams; a personal history of the British Christian Socialists. London, Hodder & Stoughton, c1996.
- Mark Chapman, Liturgy, Socialism and Life; the legacy of Conrad Noel. London, Darton, Longman & Todd, 2001.
- Joseph Clayton, Father Stanton of St. Alban's, Holborn; a memoir.
London, Wells, Gardner, Darton & Co., 1913.
- Theresa Corcoran, S.C., Vida Dutton Scudder. Boston, Twayne, c1982.
- John C. Cort, Christian Socialism; an informal history. Maryknoll,
NY, Orbis Books, c1988.
- Percy Dearmer, Art and Religion. London, Student Christian Movement, 1924.
- Percy Dearmer, Socialism and Christianity. London, The Fabian Society, 1907.
- Robert R. Dolling, Ten Years in a Portsmouth Slum. London, Swan Sonnenschein, 1897.
- Jacob H. Dorn, ed. Socialism and Christianity in Early 20th Century America. Westport,
CT, Greenwood Pr., 1998.
- Stanley G. Evans, The Social Hope of the Christian Church. London, Hodder and Stoughton, 1965.
- John Neville Figgis, C.R. The Fellowship of the Mystery. London, Longmans,
- Joseph Fletcher, ed. Christianity and Property. Philadelphia, Westminster Pr., 1947.
- Richard Foulkes, Church and Stage in Victorian England. Cambridge
Univ. Press, 1997.
- Richard W. Gillett, The Human Enterprise; a Christian perspective on work. Kansas City, MO, Leaven Pr., ©1985.
- Charles Gore, Christ and Society; Halley Stewart Lectures, 1927.
London, George Allen & Unwin, 1928.
- Charles Gore, ed., Lux Mundi; a series of studies in the religion of
the Incarnation. London, John Murray, 15th ed., 1909.
- Charles Gore, The Sermon on the Mount; a practical exposition. London, John Murray, 1896 (reprinted 1925).
- Reg Groves, Conrad Noel and the Thaxted Movement; an adventure in Christian Socialism. New York, Augustus M. Kelley, ©1968.
- Thomas Hancock, The Peculium; an endeavour to throw light on the decline of the Society of Friends. . . 2d ed., revised, with an Introduction by the Bishop of Gibralter. London, SPCK, 1907.
- Stewart D. Headlam, Christian Socialism; a lecture. London, The Fabian
- Stewart D. Headlam, The Laws of Eternal Life; being studies in the Church Catechism. London, Willaim Reeves, [nd].
- Stewart D. Headlam, The Socialist's Church. London,George Allen, 1907.
- A. G. Hebert, Liturgy and Society; the function of the Church in the
modern world. London, Faber and Faber, 1935.
- Colin Holden, From Tories at Prayer to Socialists at Mass; St. Peter's,
Eastern Hill, Melbourne 1846-1990. Melbourne, Melbourne Univ. Press, 1996.
- Peter d'A, Jones, The Christian Socialist Revival, 1877-1914. Princeton,
Princeton Univ. Pr., 1968.
- Darryl M. Jordan. "He Hath Filled The Hungry With Good Things; Early Developments in Anglo-Catholic Social Theology ." 5 May
2002. [now available on Anglo-Catholic Socialism]
- John H. Kater, "Forgotten prophet: a note on the theology of Frederic Hastings
Smyth" Anglican Theological Review 55:73-77, January 1973.
- Charles Kingsley, The Good News of God; sermons. London, MacMillan,
- Charles Kingsley, Sermons for the Times. New York, Daniel Dana, 1858.
- Kenneth Leech, The Eye of the Storm; spiritual resources for the pursuit of Justice. London, Darton, Longman and Todd, 1992.
- Kenneth Leech, The Sky is Red; discerning the signs of the times. London, Darton, Longman and Todd, 1997.
- Kenneth Leech, Subversive Orthodoxy; traditional faith and radical commitment. Toronto, Anglican Book Centre, 1992.
- Kenneth Leech, The Social God. London, Sheldon Pr., ©1981.
- Kenneth Leech, Through our Long Exile; contextual theology and the urban experience. London, Darton, Longman & Todd, 2001.
- Kenneth Leech, True God. London, Sheldon Press, 1985.
- Kenneth Leach, True Prayer, London, Sheldon Press, 1980.
- Kenneth Leech, We Preach Christ Crucified, Cambridge, MA, Cowley, c1994.
- Ellen Leonard, George Tyrrell and the Catholic Tradition, New York,
Paulist Pr., c1982.
- John Lewis, Karl Polanyi, Donald K. Kitchen, eds. Christianity and the Social Revolution. London, Victor Gollancz, 1935. Includes chapters by Gilbert Clive Binyon, Conrad Noel, and Charles E. Raven.
- Philip Lindsay and Reg Groves, The Peasants' Revolt, 1381, London,
- Bernard Kent Markwell, The Anglican Left, Brooklyn, Carlson, 1991.
- Charles Marson, Glastonbury; of the English Jerusalem, Bath, Geo. Gregory Book Store, 1925.
- Charles Marson, God's Co-operative Society; suggestions on the strategy of the Church., London, Longmans, Green, 1914.
- Charles Marson, The Psalms at Work, London, Elliot Stock, 1895.
- N. C. Masterman, John Malcolm Ludlow; the builder of Christian Socialism.
Cambridge Univ Pr., 1963.
- Frederick Dennison Maurice, The Prayer Book, London, James Clarke
& Co., 1966.
- Frederick Dennison Maurice, Reconstructing Christian Ethics: selected writings, ed. by Ellen K. Wondra. Louisville, Westminster John Knox Pr., ©1995.
- Joseph Needham, History is on Our Side. New York, Macmillan, 1945.
- Joseph Needham, Time: The Refreshing River (Essays and Addressses, 1932-1942). London, George Allen & Unwin, 1943.
- Francesco S. Nitti, Catholic Socialism, London, MacMillan, 1908.
- Conrad Noel, The Battle of the Flags. London, Labour Publ. Co., 1922.
- Conrad Noel, an Autobiography, edited with a foreword by Sidney Dark. London, J. M. Dent & Sons Ltd., 1945.
- Conrad Noel: "Jesus" , In Christianity and the Social Revolution, ed. by John Lewis, Karl Polanyi, and Donald K. Kitchen. London, Victor Gollancz, 1935.
- Conrad Noel, Jesus the heretic, London, Religious Book Club, 1940.
- Conrad Noel, The Life of Jesus, New York, Simon and Schuster, 1938.
- Conrad Noel, Socialism in Church history, London, Frank Palmer, 1910.
- Conrad Noel, "A Picture of the Church in the Great State", in H.
G. Wells, ed. Socialism and the Great State. New York, Harper, 1912.
- [Conrad Noel] Uplifting the Son of Man as the God of Justice in our Midst
. Issued by the Catholic Crusade in view of the recent events at Thaxted.
Thaxted, Church Publishing Company [nd, circa 1919]
- [Conrad Noel] Robert Shaw, The Flag; a novel. New York, Harcourt,
Brace & World, 1965.
- John R. Orens, "Christ, communism, and chorus girls: a reassessment of Stewart
Headlam" Historical Magazine of the Protestant Episcopal Church 49:233-248
- John R. Orens, "Conrad Noel." Christian Worker (Sri Lanka) 3rd &
4th Qrs. 1993. 88-91.
- John R. Orens, "Dancing the Magnificat." Christian Worker (Sri Lanka)
3rd Qr 96 & 1st & 2nd Qrs, 1997. 43-45.
- John R. Orens, "Politics and the kingdom: the legacy of the Anglican left".
Anglican Theological review 63:21-41, January 1981
- John R. Orens, Stewart Headlam's Radical Anglicanism; the Mass, the Masses, and the Music Hall. Urbana and Chicago,
Univ. of Illinois Pr., © 2003.
- Charles E. Osborne, The Life of Father Dolling, London, Edward Arnold,
- William George Peck, The Social Implications of the Oxford Movement,
New York, Scribners, 1933.
- Peter C. Phan, Social thought; Message of the Fathers of the Church,
Wilmington, Delaware, Michael Glazier, Inc., 1984.
- Jack Putterill, Thaxted Quest for Social Justice; autobiography of Jack Putterrill, turbulent priest and rebel, Marlow, Bucks, Precision Pr., 1977.
- Maurice B. Reckitt, ed. For Christ and the People; studies of four Socialist
priests and prophets of the Church of England, London, SPCK, c1968.
- Maurice B. Reckitt, Maurice to Temple; a century of the social movement
in the Church of England. London, Faber & Faber, 1946.
- Maurice B. Reckitt, P. E. T. Widrington; a study in vocation and versatility.
London, SPCK, 1961.
- Maurice B. Reckitt, ed, Prospect for Christendom; essays in Catholic
social reconstruction. London, Faber & Faber, 1945.
- John Shelton Reed, Glorious Battle: the cultural politics of Victorian
Anglo-Catholicism, Nashville, Vanderbilt Univ Pr, 1996.
- George W. E. Russell, Saint Alban the Martyr, Holborn: a history of
fifty years. Milwaukee, Young Churchman Co., 1913.
- Vida Dutton Scudder, Brother John; a tale of the first Franciscans.
New York, E.P. Dutton, 1940.
- Vida Dutton Scudder, The Disciple of a Saint; being the imaginary biography
of Raniero di Landoccio dei Pagliaresi. New York, E. P. Dutton, 1907.
- Vida Dutton Scudder, Father Huntington; founder of the Order of the Holy
Cross. Boston, Little, Brown, 1927.
- Vida Dutton Scudder, On Journey, New York, E. P. Dutton, c1937.
- Vida Dutton Scudder, The Privilege of Age; essays secular and spiritual, New York, E. P. Dutton, 1939.
- Vida Dutton Scudder, Social Ideals in English Letters, Boston, Hougton
- Vida Dutton Scudder, Socialism and Character, Boston, Hougton Mifflin,
- Vida Dutton Scudder, editor. Saint Catherine of Siena as seen in her letters, translated & edited with introduction by Vida D. Scudder., London, J. M. Dent, 1911.
- Upton Sinclair, editor. The Cry for Justice; an anthology of the literature of social protest, with an introduction by Jack London. Philadelphia, Winston, ©1915.
- Frederic Hastings Smyth, Manhood into God, New York, Roundtable Press,
- Frederic Hastings Smyth, Discerning the Lord's Body; the rationale of
a Catholic democracy, Louisville, The Cloister Press, 1946.
- Frederic Hastings Smyth, Sacrifice; a doctrinal homily, New York,
Vantage Press, 1953.
- Frederic Hastings Smyth, The Immaculate Conception of Saint Mary the
Virgin; an eirenic essay, Wadsworth, Illinois, McGuire-Johnson, 1954.
- Society of the Catholic Commonwealth, The Anamnesis of the Body and Blood
of Our Lord Jesus Christ, containing the Liturgies of the Offertory, Consecration,
and Holy Communion, commonly called the Mass, according to the Use of the
Society of the Catholic Commonwealth, Cambridge, Mass., Oratory of St.
Mary and St. Michael, 1947.
- R. H. Tawney, Religion and the Rise of Capitalism; a historical study,
New York, Harcourt Brace and Co., 1926.
- Ross Terrill, R. H. Tawney and his Times; Socialism as Fellowship,
Cambridge, Harvard Univ. Pr., c1973.
- Irwin St. John Tucker, A Minstrel Friar; his legacy of song. Chicago,
- George Tyrrell, Through Scylla and Charybdis, or the old theology and
the new, London, Longmans, Green, and Co., 1907.
- George Tyrrell's Letters, ed, by M. D. Petre. New York, E. P. Dutton,
- Colwyn E. Vulliamy, Charles Kingsley & Christian Socialism, London,
The Fabian Society, 1914.
- John Wild, Science and the 'scientific' skepticism of our time, Cambridge,
Mass., Oratory of St. Mary and St. Michael.
- [Mother Kate Warburton], Memories of a Sister of S. Saviour's Priory, London, A. R. Mowbray & Co., 1904.
- N. P. Williams and Charles Harris, eds, Northern Catholicism; centenary studies in the Oxford and parallel movements. A publication of the Literature Committee of the English Church Union. London, SPCK, 1933.
- Bruce Wollenberg, Christian Social Thought in Great Britain Between the Wars, Lanham, MD, University Press of America, c1997.