"We need your help!"
An appeal from The Rt. Rev. Riah H. Abu El-Assal,
Anglican Bishop in Jerusalem, August 1, 2006 and July 27, 2006
No War on Iran! No Nukes!
Petition to Bush/Cheney
Letter to United Nations Security Council
Contact your Representatives (U.S. Residents)
New Web Page:
The Society of Sacramental Socialists is made up of socialist Christians in the UK, who are committed to the Catholic tradition of the Anglican Church. It is the successor organisation to the Jubilee Group.
A Global Call for Nonviolent Civil Resistance
We invite peace-makers throughout the world to participate in an international campaign of massive, nonviolent civil resistance to stop the U.S.-led occupation of Iraq. These actions could be organized to include both non-violent civil resistance and legal demonstrations. The killing of tens of thousands of civilians, the wounding of perhaps 100,000 or more people, the torture and murder of prisoners in U.S. custody -- these and other realities of the occupation are evidence of the massive state terrorism being perpetrated against the people of Iraq. At the same time, we mourn the deaths of over 2,300 soldiers of the "coalition forces", while we denounce the lies (weapons of mass destruction, ties between Saddam Hussein and Al Qaeda) proclaimed in an effort to justify the invasion. For more
information, see http://www.aglobalcall.org/
The Working Class Movement Library in Salford [UK] is currently going through some major changes. Their patron since 1987 -- Salford City Council -- is no longer able to maintain the level of financial support it has been giving. The library is looking for fresh sources of funding and asks you to help in whatever way you can. Please support their Special Appeal.
Note: The Library is a vital resource for British and Irish labour and socialist history, and also houses the Jubilee Group library, papers and many articles on Christian socialism.
Anglo-Catholic Socialism is now operating under a Creative Commons license. Click on image for terms.
We invite you to submit announcements of peace and justice events in your area, Listing of events sponsored by particular socialist parties does not imply endorsement of these parties by Anglo-Catholic Socialism.
- Today: News headlines from Ekklesia
- September 7, 2006: Links to Rowan Williams' The Body's Grace (1989) and Richard Kirker's comments on Dr. Williams' apparent disavowal of that essay added to Speaking Love's Name section.
- September 2, 2006: Another Forgery Warning posted. Spam is being sent using forged Anglo-Catholic Socialism address as source.
- August 30, 2006: The Illogical Priest, a 1907 review of Stewart Headlam's The Socialist's Church, added as an introduction to the latter.
- August 29, 2006: The Jerusalem Declaraton on Christian Zionism added to Communications Received.
- August 22, 2006: Links added to two new organizations recently founded in response to events at The Episcopal Church's General Convention: The Episcopal Majority and Wake Up!.
- August 14, 2006: An Anglo-Catholic Anthem, found among Gresham Kirkby's papers, added to "Communications Received".
- August 11, 2006: Obituary notice for Fr. Gresham Kirky added to "Communications Received".
- August 9, 2006: Link to F. Hastings Smyth's Discerning the Lord's Body added to SCC pages.
- July 29, 2006: On the current crisis in the Middle East; An appeal from The Rt. Rev. Riah H. Abu El-Assal, Anglican Bishop in Jerusalem, added to Communications Received.
- July 21, 2006: Link to F. H. Smyth's The Kingdom of God in Time and Eternity added to Society of the Catholic Commonwealth section.
- July 10, 2006: What price Anglican unity -- and whom do we ask to pay the price? A Letter from Canon Paul Oestreicher to the Church Times, added to Communications Received section.
- July 2, 2006: Windows Media File: Congratulations and welcome to Katharine Jefferts Schori. A message from the people of All Hallows, Leeds added to Communications Received section.
- A Statement of Conscience, by the Bishop of Washington and others. June 21, 2006, added to "Communications Received" section.
- June 19, 2006: From Globalization to Global Household; an address by Canon Richard W. Gillett, added to Friends and Companions Section.
- May 14, 2006: Letter from Charles Marson to the Royal Commission on Ecclesiastical Discipline added to the Charles Marson pages.
- May 11, 2006: Broken links in Society of the Catholic Commonwealth section fixed.
- May 5, 2006. Washington Policies Drive Migrants North, an editorial from the Mexico-US Solidarity Network, added to "Communications Received" section.
- May 4, 2006: Dia de las Madres, a communication from Fr. Bjorn Marcussen, added to "Communications Received" section.
- April 19, 2006: Link to What are they smoking? Bush & Iran, by Jennifer Murphy, added to Communications Received section.
- April 14, 2006: Midi of traditional tune to "Tomorrow shall be my dancing day" added to Taking the Kingdom by Song section.
- March 25, 2006: Liturgy; "an act of utter uselessness" (March 2006 revision of a series of talks originally given in 2002 at St. Mary in Palms, Los Angeles) added to "Liturgical Ramblings" section.
- March 21, 2006: Announcement of :Christian Socialism: Then and Now" conference added (see above). Link to Willamette Reds added to links page.
- March 16, 2006: Direct Action is Participatory Democracy, by Emmett Jarrett TSSF, added to Friends and Companions section.
- March 15, 2006: Links to The Society of Sacramental Socialists added to links and announcements pages (see above).
- March 14, 2006: Link to The Thomas Merton Center (Pittsburgh) added to links section.
- March 5, 2006: Link added to "Metacosmesis: The Christian Marxism of Frederic Hastings Smyth and the Society of the Catholic Commonwealth", by Terry Brown, now on-line at Project Canterbury.
- February 1, 2006: A New Year's Greeting of Hope from Nicaragua from Joseph Mulligan, S.J., added to communications received section.
- January 19, 2006: Quotation from Kenneth Leech added to Traditional Values page
- January 16, 2006: The Star-Spangled Banner (adapted to the situation), from W. D. P. Bliss'
Chiurch of the Carpenter, added to heritage section.
- December 24, 2005: Links to Bruderhof Communities, Bruderhof Collective, and Bruderhof Peacemakers Guide removed as they no longer have a web presence. To contact the community nearest you, write to Woodcrest, 2032 Rt. 213, Rifton, NY 12471, 845-658-8351 (USA)
- December 19, 2005: Announcement of "A Global Call for Nonviolent Civil Resistance" added -- see above.
- December 12, 2003: Prayers at the Anámnesis, contempoary language versions of prayers from the liturgy according to the use of the Society of the Catholic Commonwealth added to Liturgical Resources section.
- December 2, 2005: What's this Life All About Anyway; the Offertory and the Liturgy, by Helen Ray, added to Heritage Section.
- November 30, 2005: Reflections on SOA rally and vigil, by Steve Shanks, added to "Friends and Companions section.
- November 4, 2005: Link added to St. Bede's Church Brandwood, Birmingham UK
- October 26, 2005: The Jesus We Haven't Followed; excerpts from a sermon by Alvin Alexsi Currier, August 21, 2005, added to "Communications Received".
- October 4, 2005: The Catholic Crusade 1918-1936, A reprint of its original Manifesto with an introduction and notes by Reg Groves, added to Heritage Section.
- September 29, 2005: What is Already There; A Talk Given to Birmingham Outer Estates Clergy, Candlemas 2005, by Andy Delmege, added to "Friends and Companions".
- September 28, 2005: Selections from the 1995 Jubilee Group pamphlet Mary Mother of Socialism added to Heritage Section .
- September 23, 2005: He Hath Filled The Hungry With Good Things: Early Developments in Anglo-Catholic Social Theology, by Darryl M. Jordan, added to "Friends and Companions" section.